Welcome to GitGuys.com – The Git Experts
Git doesn’t have to be so difficult to learn! However, for a variety of good reasons, it has been.
We’re here to help – GitGuys present over 30 tutorials on the use of Git to help you, step-by-step, in setting up git from scratch through dealing with the distributed environment. Each tutorial covers a specific topic so that later, after you have Git up and running, if you need to reference a specific topic you can quickly and easily.
GitGuys.com Site Tour
Why bother to learn git?
- Git is a big improvement over legacy version control systems (more about that later).
- Git is growing very rapidly in popularity.
- Bottom line: Source code that you need to access and update will be in a git repository, and you’ll save a lot of time and trouble by knowing how to live happily with git.
The bad news:
- Git is different than other version control systems: It is built differently from the ground (database) up. Consequently, if you only learn “instead of doing this checkout command in SVN, I now do this checkout command in ‘git’ you might still get confused about what git command to use when: It really is worthwhile to learn the ‘git philsophy’ and what it can do for you.
- It takes some effort to learn the ways and whys of git.
Start out with: Version Control System (VCS) Requirements: What every VCS must do.
Check out: Why Use Git Instead of a Legacy Version Control System.
Then dive into: The Git Object Database and What’s the deal with the git index?
Check back with us periodically – we will be adding more info to help you git going!